lundi 13 juin 2011

B.1 France so Far

France is very interesting so far. I'm trying to get adjusted to it all. The culture is very different from anywhere I've been. I've been to Cancun, Mexico, but of course it's a tourist spot and everyone speaks English (ex: the resort staff).
It's only been a weeks and France is different from anything I've ever experienced. Of course the difference in language is a major one. When we first got to France, I found it pretty difficult to express what I wanted in French. For example, when getting food at a cafe, I wouldn't be confident in my speaking ability and mumble my French. Since we got here, I've been trying to practice my French so hopefully I will be better at communicating. I've also noticed the difference in etiquette. Like how it's considered rude to sit at a cafe and not order anything. Or how it's rude to ask for a "To-Go" box at a restaurant. I'm trying to be really conscious of French etiquette because I don't want to offend anyone, especially my host family.
I've also noticed that the French have their own section of the menu called the "Americain" which is meals with huge portions. I found that pretty funny but I was also embarrassed that America is know as a "fat" country around the world.
I like France so fat and all of the cultural differences are something I'm getting used to but I am a little homesick. I guess because it's my first time in Europe and I'm not used to it all. However, I do look forward to meeting my host family, well really my "host mom". And I'm also looking forward to the rest of the trip so I can learn more about this interesting culture.

-Jevelle Britton

1 commentaire:

  1. I agree that France is different than anything else I had seen. For me, the biggest adjustment was the fact that I had to adjust living in a city. That was something I had never done before. I can say that I saw an improvement in your French Jevelle! Adjusting to the language must have been hard, it was difficult for all of us. for students returning to this program,or taking it next year, I strongly emphasize Mme Clays advice. Really try to think about what areas you may struggle with in adjusting to the new city/culture/life.

    RépondreSupprimer