vendredi 17 juin 2011

C.3: Versailles, a place for Kings...


I have been anticipating this excursion ever since I signed on for the trip. When you grow up and see pictures of Versailles in history books or on the internet it just looks so decadent and over the top. After viewing the chateau, it turned out to be all that I have imagined and more. It was completely over the top and over done, just like most everyone said it would be. Although it was crowded, it was amazing to see where kings and queens had once lived and what their individual tastes were. While the chateau IS something quite magnificent, I preferred Marie Antionettes private home much more. For as exquisite as Marie Antionette seemed to be, her home was very down to earth (well as down to earth as a queens private home can be). I really enjoyed hearing Christina tell us things about her time period and her way of life. I also found it funny to see the fake ancient ruins that were put in. It makes sense because we today do that sort of thing, trying to emulate an older era with antiques and such, but it's odd to think of people doing it so long ago.
It was also very interesting to hear that Louis has never been to Marie Antionette's little home and how marriages were back then were more of a contract than anything and not particular on love. I also greatly enjoyed Christinas stories about each of the fountains and the statues with all the greek mythology behind it. Apollo and his mother was my favorite. It was interesting to see the theme carries throughout a few different areas and to see the transforming frog people. I would have NEVER noticed that had it not been for Christina and her tales. I am again anxiously awaiting out next Christina promenade.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire