dimanche 26 juin 2011

D,3: The Opera Garnier


As each date rolls around for our Christina promenades I always get so excited. She is just like a book of knowledge for all the smallest details about Paris. I was particularly excited to go to the Opera Garnier because I had finally seen the movie The Phantom of the Opera this past year and I loved it. Having seen that movie prior to our promenade really helped to bring it alive and make it that much more interesting for me. As with most all our promenades, the story starts on the outside and pulls you in. I did not find it unusual that Napoleon III had a separate entrance but it was interesting to learn why he did it instead of just assuming he felt that much more special than everyone else. I would build a separate entrance for myself if someone had previously tried to blow me up at the Opera. One of the most interesting qualities about the building to me was that it was built for EVERYONE to mingle with one another. In a city such as Paris in a time where there was a class society very much in place I find it endearing that so much thought was put into this and that everyone could come together no matter how much your ticket cost. For some reason I have this idea in my head that poorer girls had more of an opportunity to meet well-off men and marry up in class. As with most promenades I usually go and do further reading on the subject but I found nothing on this idea. I'll just have to keep a list to ask Christina, and even if she doesn't know, I am still just as interested to get her opinion on the matter.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire