vendredi 1 juillet 2011

F.2: The last hoo-rah


Last night was our farewell dinner. While the whole thought that we have been in Paris for over a month and the whole thing was coming to an end was bizarre because it flew by so fast but it was sad above all. So long, farewell….you know how the song goes. It was our last big hoo-rah before we all said our goodbyes and went on our separate ways. I am sorry to say though that some of my sadness was instantly dissolved when the amuse bouche arrived, which translates into “to please the mouth” apparently. That one tiny cup of soup really set the tone for the dinner. Everything was just so good, even things I had never had before were just so tasty. I am a known hater of mushrooms and but maybe it was just the fact that I am in Paris and so delighted to be here that even the strange looking mushrooms were tasty to me. Looking back through our past 6 weeks as we had our last group get together I realized that I am just so very glad I chose to come here and I got to meet some wonderfully nice people in the process. This trip and ALL our group excursions, no matter how crazy and stressful, were all memories that I now realized I would keep with me forever and I would not give that up for anything in the world : )

3 commentaires:

  1. After reading this post, I definitely agree that the amuse-bouche set the mood for dinner. That was the most wonderful thing I think I have ever eaten in my life. (Remember, this is a girl who ate mostly monoprix meals for five weeks.) The butternut squash soup was absolutely incredible. For me, I loved the conversation. It really showed how much we grew as a group during our time together. We've made friends, and this was a wonderful way to end the experience of a lifetime.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I ate some of the best food at the farewell dinner! Oh my goodness the amuse-bouche was the perfect way to start off the last french meal! I agree with you Lynzee, as I was sitting there at dinner, I realized that we were about to end our Paris adventure! : ( 6 weeks really did fly by. I can't believe that it is all over, I feel like we were sleeping at the St. Christopher's end just a few days ago. We started the trip as strangers, and I feel we ended the trip all as friends. So glad that we all go to experience Paris together! PS: that chocolate dome was the best chocolate desert I have ever had! YUMMM C'etait tres delicieux!

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I also had a wonderful time at the farewell dinner! Sitting there and laughing, chatting, and eating really did show how much we'd grown closer as a group. We'd definitely grew together as a group, and experiences like move-in day really made us grow closer. And it showed at the closing dinner. Having a final dinner together was a really terrific way to end the program on a sweet note.

    I, however, disagree about the food. I really am grateful for the experience to try authentic French cuisine, but my taste buds just weren't the biggest fans. I absolutely loved the lamb, but I was disappointed with the amuse bouche and the tomato dish that I ordered. Maybe I didn't like it because I was trying to compare it to American dishes or because I didn't truly understand how the dishes interacted with my mouth. But the amuse bouche tasted like cold broth of some sort, and the tomato dish tasted like cold pasta sauce, only with less flavor. In all honesty, I think I prefer Campbell's. And while the dôme au chocolat was delicious, it was almost too rich. I don't mean to sound picky, and it's not that I didn't enjoy French cuisine, but I just enjoyed the simple meals more than the fancy food at the closing dinner. Again, don't get me wrong, I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to try the cuisine. In the end, I think that, in addition to the camaraderie, was the point of the closing meal. It gave us an opportunity to try things we would not have otherwise been able to, and regardless of whether we liked it or not, it was definitely a sensory experience!

    RépondreSupprimer