dimanche 10 juillet 2011

F.3 Return to "Normalcy"

After I arrived back to the United States, everything was so different. The adjustment has been a little weird. I know everything is normal, and what life should be, but it is so different than the life I have been living for the past month and a half. When I first got on the airplane, the first thing I noticed was how loud everyone was. The stewardesses were shouting across the aisle. Also, everyone was much more talkative. Americans are so willing to talk to one another and make fast friends. The French are a little more respectful of your personal life than to ask you a bunch of questions about your journey. Either that or they just don’t care. I’m not sure which one it is, but I think I prefer the French style. Don’t get me wrong, I love conversation, but sometimes airplane chats can get a little intrusive—just because you’re sitting next to me for 9 hours doesn’t mean you need to know my life story.

When I arrived in Dallas, everyone was still loud. It was really uncomfortable. Also, I feel conditioned to speak in French to everyone. Every time I asked someone a question, I spoke in French and quickly had to change to English. It was so weird.

Back in South Carolina, I started driving again. One has to drive to get anywhere! One of my first trips was to Publix with my mom. WOAH. Supermarkets are SO LARGE! I have been so overwhelmed with the selection of food. Every time I go to a grocery store the feeling comes back. There is no need for such a huge selection of food. I think there were like 60 Yoplait light raspberries in the grocery store. Seriously?! That many?? Are people going to buy that much before it expires?

I don’t know if I am ready to switch back to American life. I am looking for a job in France when I finish school. One woman in my Sorbonne class is helping me find a family to be an au pair for! I am very ready to be back in Paris.

1 commentaire:

  1. Did you ever go to Bon Marché? I went to one in the 7th, and it was the biggest grocery store I've ever been to in my LIFE! I think it was called Le Grand Epicerie de Paris or something of the sort. They had an entire aisle just for tea! Even compared to grocery stores in America, it was overwhelming. Not to mention the dessert counter! I've never seen so many chocolates in one place before! But yes, I agree that there are quite a few differences between the two societies. It's hard switching to the other once you've gotten accustomed to the first!

    RépondreSupprimer