samedi 16 juillet 2011

F.3 Paris, you will always be remembered!

"Wow" is what comes to mind after living in Paris for 5 1/2 weeks.  What an amazing experience!  Looking back on my time in Paris, I really can't believe that the trip is over.  It absolutely flew by for me.  I feel that I grew so much while away from home.  I had never truly been on my own before.  Yes, I've lived  in a dorm room and an apartment away from home, but I've always had roommates and friends living with me!  This was the first time I was able to truly see how I would survive on my own, and what better way to test your survival skills than living in a foreign country for over a month! (haha)  I had to trust my instincts, and I feel that I was very aware of my surroundings all the time.  I thought that I was a very independent young woman before going over to Paris.  Now, I feel that I have become even more independent and I feel fully capable of living on my own no matter where I live!

I experienced so many cultural differences in Paris.  I love the fact that the french go to the boulangerie every day and pick up a fresh baguette or go to the store for fresh ingredients for the days meals.  Who knew that it is ok to not refrigerate your eggs? That was one difference I learned the first day I moved in with my host family.  I bought a bunch of eggs and my host mother told me that they never refrigerate their eggs!  Another cultural difference that I find really cool is the whole dining experience in Paris.  The french eat much later than we do in the US, and meals are truly a social time filled with good conversation, good friends, and a good time.  I love that the french never seem to be in a rush for anything.  They are laid back and like I said in my cultural video project, "they have mastered the art of doing nothing and turning it into something."  I really tried to embrace this concept of doing nothing and  I feel that I accomplished this by sitting in cafes along St. Michel or near the Notre Dame and just watching people walk by while sipping a drink and talking with friends! C'est tres francais non?

I feel that my french definitely improved while living abroad.  I now know so many key phrases that the french use on a daily basis!  I think my favorite is, "Ce n'est pas grave!"  I learned that its ok not to speak in perfectly constructed sentences.  That was my problem before living in Paris.  I used to try and perfectly plan out my sentences in my head before speaking.  I thought that was the only way to get my message across, and if I didn't know how to say something I used to just not say anything at all! Now, I find that as long as I get the general point across of what I'm trying to say, it is ok.  The french actually understood what I was trying to say!  I learned short cuts for saying things and as long as I include some key words of what I'm tyring to say, then most people will understand what I'm talking about.  I learned the simpler, the better.  I was always trying to make things too hard and complicated.  I am excited to get back to my last french class in Clemson and use the skills I've learned over the summer in class.

Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing about my time in Paris.  Of course there were some trials and obstacles along the way, but you have to take the good with the bad and realize that its all an experience.  I would even say that my hospital visit for my spider bite was one of the most interesting experiences I had in Paris! (haha) I feel that I am a different person than the girl who arrived in Paris 7 1/2 weeks ago.  I feel like I've grown as an individual and I can handle any situation that life throws my way.  Merci Paris!! I will never forget you! : )

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire