vendredi 20 mai 2011

Journal A.1: My Distraction


As I was sitting on the computer, trying to brainstorm an idea to blog about, I noticed that my thoughts kept getting interrupted by this insistent urge to check my Facebook. I kept going back and forth between Facebook and my phone, making me totally lose my train of thought. This got me tinking, networking sites are real distractions – especially to college students. Many college students are not aware of the time they actually spend using these websites instead of being productive with schoolwork. This is especially a serious issue on college campuses because students seem to spend half of their time in class or in the library, distracted. Hopefully we won’t have this problem in France because we’ll be too busy exploring, but I think it’s an important to discuss.

I think I speak for most college students when I say Facebook is probably one of the biggest distractions in college. As everyone knows, there is a lot to do on Facebook. Stalking is probably where most of my time is spent whether it’s stalking my high school friends, my college friends, or even complete strangers I'm not even friends with, if their profile's not on private. Whenever I'm bored and want to take a break from the torturous five whole minutes of studying I've done, I check my Facebook. Of course, checking my Facebook for a quick second usually ends up with me Facebook stalking for thirty minutes, at the very least. I think Facebook is such a distraction for me because it’s a perfect gateway when I’m bored. But between trying to find my way through Paris, meeting new people, schoolwork, and learning the language I think we’ll all be pretty occupied!

-Jevelle Britton

2 commentaires:

  1. Guess I should have been more specific! ha ha I meant your choice of topic thinking that everyone would have France on their minds! This is interesting and all too true, tho - and something everyone should keep in mind re the language immersion issue in France - I think you're on the EP list Jevelle (Experience People as opposed to Language People :) so perhaps it won't be an issue for those students, altho even the EPs will need to control their English intake a little bit just til they get used to doing lots of day to day things in French.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. This is so true! I think (almost) every Clemson student would agree, too! I think we're attracted to Facebook so much because its mindless. After a long day of classes and taxing work, we still have the urge to be doing something, yet our brains are too tired to do much of anything, so Facebook allows us to mindlessly explore others' pictures, statuses, and other useless information. I mean, poking? It seems so lame thinking about it, yet when I see that I have a poke, I immediately poke back the initial poker. I think Facebook just gives us something to do while giving our minds a mental break. The problem, though, is when the hours slip away without you even realize it! Facebook may provide a necessary mental break, but it sure is dangerous!

    RépondreSupprimer