vendredi 20 mai 2011

Journal A.1 Independence




I have been to Paris once before with my mom when I was 13. Yet, seeing Paris as a 13 year old and seeing Paris as a 23 year old are two entirely different things. Especially when traveling alone and spending time with people I’ve only met for several hours at a time. I would guess what I’m fairly worried about is my independence, or lack thereof. I have insecurities like everyone does and I’m worried that one weekend everyone will want to go visit another country and I’d rather stay in. I want to be able to go on my own (safely, of course) to places even if no one else does. I’m not saying I want to be a loner; I am actively looking forward to getting to know everyone better and potentially ending up with some great friends along the way. Paris is big enough that I have no real desire to travel outside, except maybe to go to Giverny or another town nearby. I’m also apprehensive about learning a new form of transportation, as my sense of direction is pretty much non-existent if you ask my family or friends and Miami’s public transit system is kind of sad. Ultimately, what I’m most worried about is my worries, which I sometimes let get the best of me. I’m naturally an anxious person and right now I feel those butterflies forming in my stomach. All I can do is keep up with my work and make the most out of the time I have there. I don’t doubt that it will be amazing nor do I think my anxiety will get in the way of my enjoyment; it’s just something that is always in the back of my mind. As of now, none of it feels very real and I know it won’t until I’m at the airport Tuesday evening, boarding my flight to Charles De Gaulle.

3 commentaires:

  1. Laura I think this is my new favorite cartoon! If either of us gets too stressed about anything during the program we'll have to have a code or hand signal for "chill - all will be well!" or something. I have to run but I'll be back to read all the new posts and comment more thoroughly this eve.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. It's nataliedee.com! I love all her comics.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Thanks very fun! Don't worry about the social side of things - everyone will find their level - every group has some people who are less or more social and it's all good - you'll all get to know each other and anyone who judges others on how much they are or aren't into doing stuff together all the time is just ridiculous - you should do like you feel most comfortable. the way you're talking about it here I think you have a good balance in mind, don't block yourself off all the time b/c you might miss some pretty fun times that might surprise you, but if you need alone time take it (I'm an introvert so I have to recharge on my own so I'm a little the same way and if I don't listen to myself at such times it is not good for me or anyone else!)................ as for the metro, don't forget we'll be on it together the first few days - everyone will feel weird on it at first and different people will take different lengths of time to get used to it - and don't feel bad later if you go the wrong direction sometime, etc. in 2009 I totally went the wrong way one evening with the group (after 10 or so times in France?!) lol..... I know what you mean about the surrealness - it will instantly feel different when you all land and get into the airport :)

    RépondreSupprimer