dimanche 22 mai 2011

A.2: My (pretend) first day in Paris!

As I imagine what my first day will be like in preparation for my impending journey to France to better prepare myself mentally, I feel as though I will the things I will notice the most are the signs; street signs, notices, shop names, etc… Especially in the airport, if the signs are both in English and French as Madam Clay had stated. I have a habit of reading everything and anything sometimes to get a better grip on my surroundings sometimes so this will most likely be the first thing I take notice to. I also have a bad habit of listening in on people’s conversations if I’m bored with nothing else to occupy me, so with everyone (most likely) speaking a different language that will also be a BIG thing I’m going to notice since this will hinder my eavesdropping activities. Not being able to quietly listen in on people and understand what they are saying will definitely be a big thing I’m going to notice since it is pretty rare for that to happen to me in my hometown of Hilton Head Island. I will probably just end up still listening to people in my surroundings to try and pick out words or phrases to see what I know and do not know. To be honest, I cannot think of something that I think I am NOT going to notice. I know it’s not a third world country or anything, but there are so many things that are different, from signs to foods, cars, clothing, manners, language, etc. I feel as though I’m going to be taking notice of anything and everything since this will be my first time in Europe and in my dream location of Paris. I’ve been dreaming about traveling to Paris for many years, I am going to do my best to stop and smell the roses every chance I get.

1 commentaire:

  1. on the other hand Lynzee this means your eavesdropping activities will probably help your French!! as for signs - I saw my first passive-aggressive office note yesterday! after all these years that's the first one I've ever seen in France! Re noticing things you're right - SO much will seem different and noticeable at first but every so often I think our brains know when to stop taking notice for a little while so we can rest a bit, then you'll notice a slew of new things you didn't notice the first few days, etc... SOME things you might not notice until someone says something - of course different people notice different things. This might be an interesting thing to revisit on a future post - the kinds of things you've notice or not, the trends in your awareness, etc...

    RépondreSupprimer